Tuesday, August 4, 2009

August 1 and 2 - I didn't plan on visiting that state...

No more vanilla latte’s prepared for me in the morning. No more 11 and 13 year old boy jokes. No more burping and other orfice noise making contests. I’m going home, today I separate from Matt and the boys and Matts’s in-laws from Maine, the Reinke’s. It’s been a wonderful experience traveling with everyone!

On Sunday we had a pretty good drive lined up – from Steamboat Springs Co to Midway UT, we had somewhere in excess of 390 miles according to GoogleMaps. Yes, they (GoogleMaps) are back in my ‘ok’ graces after having directed me to non-existent lodging n the middle of the cow fields in Taos – since then they have not let me down……And this was to be a transition day – only two stops/locations of interest the entire way and one of them turned out to be a dud.

We started the day off with a gondola ride to the mid-way station on Storm Mountain (or whatever that mountain in Steamboat is called) and did our best to make a dent in the offerings at the Champagne Brunch. The food was quite good, and plentiful as the boys have attested to. Kinda made it hard to lift my leg over the motorcycle after brunch however……

And then we started our fast paced ride to Dinosaur National Quarry. I had high hopes, but alas, there was not much to be seen since evidently the main dig site is protected by a building that is in a rapid state of deterioration and falling apart. We wre advised to return in two or three years. I went to Dino Park and all I got was a poster of something that I didn’t even see. At least it wasn’t raining (saved that for later in the afternoon) it was sunny and 95 awesome degrees!

Next stop Vernal UT for gas and then north on Highway 191 heading for Flaming Gorge. Which we knew nothing about, but sounded pretty, besides it was a National Recreation Area with a visitor center, it must be good right?
Highway 191 is officially added to the index of best rides for the trip. Lot’s of hills, corners and beautyness. They have a “geological tour” – (roadside signs indicating which era the stone was in when it was formed) and other trivia on the “geological tour” signs – squid fossils found here, formed by ancient streams, dinosaurs walked here, oil formed in this layer, etc, etc. My favorite was ‘fossilized sand dunes’ – wtf? And it was open range country so best to keep on your toes lest you have a head on with a wandering cow! The gorge was well worth the trip, but Highway 44 between Green Lakes and Lonetree had some of the best riding and best landscape shots EVER! And I got to visit a state I’d not planned on visiting, Wyoming!

Monday was tourist day. Went to Deer Creek Reservoir, the Alpine Slides and Alpine Coaster at Park City and one of the best chicken dinners ever at a small diner – Spring Chicken Diner in lovely Wanship Utah – a town so small that it doesn’t even show up on my AAA map.

All righty, today I head for Lava Beds Monument and Idaho Falls, then it’s on to the last two Bonus Dams for Damtour2009 and I’ll head home. My own bed, yahoo!

See you late Friday or Saturday afternoon kids. Hint, Hint, Hint, that means clean the house Toby!

The best thing about the Dinosaur Quarry was the sign for the city of Dinosaur, and it was 25 miles away:


Flaming Gorge (it looks more flaming with my sunglasses off):
Waiting in line for the Alpine Coaster:

Open range on the road and highway (you break it you bought it):
Does this road go to the Promised Land? This is one of my favorite shots of the whole trip, located off of Highway 44 downhill from Green Lake UT:

Junkyard across the street from the Spring Chicken Diner in Wanship:


Another shot I like off of Highway 44:
Chris screeching to a halt on the Alpine Coaster:

1 comment:

Gransy said...

So can you push your bike to get it started if you have two strong boys to help - or did you have to buy a new battery? Have a good trip home.